June 12, 2015

The Man Behind the Mask: Exclusive Interview with Jeffrey Burandt

I’ve been familiar with Jeffrey Burandt’s amazing comics since 2011, when we both collaborated for the same indie anthology. And now, after 4 years, I finally had the chance to talk with him about the thing we love the most: comics!

Welcome to the blog, Jeffrey. I’ll start with my first question: What was your inspiration for Odd Schnozz and the Odd Squad?

When I was first working on it and writing the pitch, I was reading books like Runaways and Ultimate Spider-Man from Marvel, but also Blue Monday, Hopeless Savages and Scott Pilgrim from Oni, so I was trying to combine the big-beat storytelling of mainstream superhero comics with the rock n' roll cool of what Oni was publishing at the time. I also knew if I made it about a band, I could produce a soundtrack for the book in some way and use that as a marketing tool. Otherwise, the characters had been evolving in my mind since college, loosely based on some of my friends and acquaintances in both high school and college.

I think in a way, I’ve also done the same… you wouldn’t believe how many weird friends I have. So is Odd Schnozz your favorite project or are there other comics you’ve done in the past that make you feel just as proud?

Odd Schnozz is the largest project I've worked on so far, so I'm exceptionally proud of it, and now that the first volume is finished, it is my favorite project at the moment! But I'm also proud of the Americans UK comic I self publish with artist Paul Ciaravino, where I get to be a little more experimental and hone my craft. Dean Haspiel and I have a pitch out in the world that I really want someone to pick up. We ran a short story from the property titled Blood + Brains in Image Comics' Creator Owned Heroes and it garnered excellent reviews. It made me happy to have a story that Image put out, at least.

You seem to be involved in a lot of awesome projects. For example, what can you tell me about Panels for Primates?

Troy Maxwell put together a charity anthology of comics and prose for sale via MonkeyBrain Comics, and he reached out to me to write a prose short story for the book, which I did. My story is titled, "Bibi & Cass," and it's about the relationship between a gorilla and a young girl who both become YouTube sensations after the young girl falls into a gorilla pit at the zoo. The best part for me is that I had a story appear in the same collection as a story by Stan Lee! That was very exciting. Proceeds from the anthology go to benefit the Primate Rescue Center in Nicholasville, KY, You can get it here: https://www.comixology.com/Panels-for-Primates/digital-comic/51734?app=1

I think is a great idea to have a graphic novel that comes with its own soundtrack. As a writer and a musician, would you say your talents complement each other or not?

Well, it's all writing to me. I can't play an instrument, so I don't really consider myself a musician. I write lyrics and melodies and collaborate with actual musicians to turn them into songs. It's a lot like collaborating with artist for making comics, actually. You get to hand off something you wrote to another person or group of people to interpret and produce. 

And talking about collaborators… How long have you been working with Dennis Culver? And how did you decide to do this project together?

I think it took us 5 years to finish the book together? It's a pretty big trade at 168 pages, and some of that time it was being colored and then we had missed Oni's 2014 publishing schedule--which means Dennis was probably working on it for 3 years in between his paying gigs. Oni and I already had a contract for the book, and they brought Dennis aboard, and thankfully, he was the perfect fit! 

I think you two make a fine creative team. So are you a fan of comic book conventions? If so, what was the last one you attended?

I probably enjoy the MoCCA Festival in NYC the best, but the last con I attended was NYCC. I'll be at the American Library Association Conference the weekend of June 27th, and then I'll be hanging around the Oni Booths and signing and stuff at San Diego Comic Con in July.

I wanted to go to NYCC last year. But I spent all my money on a trip to Uruguay (Don’t ask why). At least in 2014 ComiXology published an entire comic book written by me. Anyway, I wanted to know what authors inspired you to become a writer?

Nabokov. Borges. Dickens. Chris Claremont. Grant Morrison.

I’m a huge fan of Borges. I think good authors always inspire us to share our work with the public. What was your first published work? 

I had a series of comics run in Details Magazine for a few months in 2006 or so as a special promotion for Amstel Light titled, "Adventures In Tasteful Living," with art by Terry Taylor. I put it up on my blog recently if you're interested: http://jefwrites.com/2015/01/09/adventures-in-tasteful-living/

That was good. And now, to stay on topic, Could you name the best comics you’ve read in the last couple of years?

Thomas Alsop by Chris Miskiewicz and Palle Schmidt from Boom Studios is excellent. The first trade just came out. I love The Sixth Gun by Bunn and Hurtt from Oni Press. Also, The Bunker by Fialkov and Infurnari is a can't miss series.

I’ve heard nothing but good compliments about the series you mention. How would you describe your experience working with Dean Haspiel for Creator Owned Heroes?

Dino is the man-o. He's a total pro and the most personable, fun dude, all at the same time. He takes his work very seriously, and collaborating on that story and the resulting pitch was a treat. He pushes me to do my best work. If you haven't checked out his collaboration with Mark Waid for Archie's The Fox, I can't recommend it enough, and his hardcover Billy Dogma collections that have been coming out from Z2 Comics are absurd, pulp masterpieces.

I’m just curious about this, so humor me. What’s the deal with the mask you’re wearing on your ComiXology and Google profile?

I wore that mask a lot on stage when performing with my sci-fi rock band Americans UK, which is why it's so beat up. My friend Seth Kushner took that photo, and it's one of my favorite pictures of myself, taken by a true master of the camera. We lost Seth recently, and the comics world--hell, the entire world--suffers without him. Fuck cancer.

I never met Seth Kushner but I admired his work. He was so talented. And to wrap this up, what other projects are you planning after Odd Schnozz? 

My band Americans UK releases our next high end, sci-fi rock video, "Phenomena-na," at the end of June. If Odd Schnozz vol. 1 sells well enough, I hope I have the opportunity to write another book in the series. I have the bigger story outlined to 3 volumes in total, and I've also written up notes for an Odd Schnozz/Americans UK cross-over that would be amazing, but probably never happen. I'm always generating new pitches and new prose stories otherwise.

Thanks for talking with me, Arcadio! 

You’re welcome Jeffrey!
________________________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________________________

He estado familiarizado con los asombrosos cómics de Jeffrey Burandt desde el 2011, cuando ambos colaboramos para la misma antología independiente. Y ahora, después de 4 años, finalmente tengo la oportunidad de hablar con él acerca de lo que más nos encanta: ¡los cómics!

Bienvenido al blog, Jeffrey. Voy a empezar con mi primera pregunta: ¿Cuál fue tu inspiración para “Odd Schnozz and the Odd Squad”?

Cuando empecé a trabajar en ello y mientras escribía la propuesta, estaba leyendo títulos como “Runaways” y “Ultimate Spider-Man” de Marvel, pero también “Blue Monday”, “Savages Hopeless” y “Scott Pilgrim” de Oni, por lo tanto traté de combinar una narración de gran ritmo propia de los cómics de superhéroes con esa frescura de rock n 'roll que publicaba Oni en ese momento. También sabía que si me enfocaba en una banda, podría producir un soundtrack, y de alguna manera usar eso como una herramienta de marketing. Por lo demás, los personajes fueron evolucionando en mi mente desde la universidad, ellos están vagamente basados en algunos amigos y conocidos, tanto de la escuela secundaria como de la universidad.

Creo que de alguna manera, yo también he hecho lo mismo... y vaya que tengo algunas amistades inusuales. ¿Es “Odd Schnozz” tu proyecto favorito o existen otros cómics que has hecho en el pasado que te hacen sentir orgulloso?

“Odd Schnozz” es el proyecto más grande que he hecho hasta ahora, así que estoy excepcionalmente orgulloso de ello, y ahora que el primer volumen está terminado, ¡es mi proyecto favorito actualmente! Pero también estoy orgulloso del cómic “Americans UK” que auto-publiqué con el artista Paul Ciaravino, era un poco más experimental y me ayudó a perfeccionar mi oficio. Dean Haspiel y yo tenemos una propuesta que realmente quisiera que alguien tome en cuenta. Hicimos una historia corta de “Blood + Brains” para “Creator Owned Heroes” de Image Comics y obtuvo excelentes críticas. Me hizo feliz tener una historia publicada por Image, al fin.

Parece que estás involucrado en muchos proyectos sorprendentes. Por ejemplo, ¿qué puedes decirme sobre “Panels for Primates”?

Troy Maxwell armó una antología a través de MonkeyBrain Comics, las ventas eran destinadas a una beneficencia. Él se acercó a mí para que escribiese un relato en prosa para el libro, y así lo hice. Mi historia se titula “Bibi & Cass”, y se trata de la relación entre un gorila y una joven que se convierten en sensaciones de YouTube después de que la chica cae en el foso de los gorilas en el zoológico. ¡La mejor parte para mí es que mi historia aparece en la misma antología que incluye una colaboración de Stan Lee! Eso fue muy emocionante. El dinero obtenido con la antología va a beneficiar al Centro de Rescate de Primates en Nicholasville, KY, y pueden encontrarla aquí: https://www.comixology.com/Panels-for-Primates/digital-comic/51734?app=1

Creo que es una gran idea tener una novela gráfica que viene con su propia banda sonora. Como escritor y músico, ¿dirías que tus talentos se complementan entre sí o no?

Bueno, lo mío es la escritura. No puedo tocar un instrumento, por lo que realmente no me considero un músico. Escribo letras y melodías, y colaboro con músicos reales para convertirlas en canciones. Es muy parecido a colaborar con un artista para hacer cómics, en realidad. Tienes la oportunidad de desarrollar algo que escribió otra persona y dárselo a un grupo de personas para que lo interpreten y lo produzcan.

Y hablando de colaboradores... ¿Cuánto tiempo llevas trabajando con Dennis Culver? ¿Y cómo decidieron hacer este proyecto juntos?

Creo que nos tomó ¿5 años terminar el libro juntos? Es un tomo muy grande, de 168 páginas, y parte de ese tiempo estaba siendo coloreado y luego perdimos el calendario de publicaciones de Oni para el 2014 - lo que significa que Dennis probablemente estuvo trabajando en ello durante 3 años alternando esto con otros proyectos de paga. Oni y yo ya teníamos un contrato para el libro, y trajeron a Dennis bordo, y por suerte, ¡era el colaborador perfecto!

Creo que ustedes dos hacen un gran equipo creativo. ¿Eres fan de las convenciones de cómics? Si es así, ¿cuál fue la última a la que asististe?

Probablemente lo que más me gusta es el Festival MoCCA en New York, pero la última convención a la que asistí fue NYCC. Estaré en la Conferencia de la Asociación Americana de Bibliotecas el 27 de junio, y luego voy a estar dando vueltas por el stand de Oni y firmando y esas cosas en San Diego Comic Con, en julio.

Yo quería ir a NYCC el año pasado. Pero me gasté todo mi dinero en un viaje a Uruguay (No preguntes por qué). Por lo menos el 2014 ComiXology publicó un cómic enteramente escrito por mí. De todos modos, quería saber ¿qué autores te inspiraron a ser escritor?

Nabokov. Borges. Dickens. Chris Claremont. Grant Morrison.

Soy un gran fan de Borges. Creo que los buenos autores siempre nos inspiran para compartir nuestro trabajo con el público. ¿Cuál fue tu primer trabajo publicado?

Hice una serie de cómics para “Details Magazine” durante unos meses el 2006, como una promoción especial para Amstel Light titulada “Adventures In Tasteful Living”, con arte de Terry Taylor. Lo puse en mi página hace poco por si te interesa: http://jefwrites.com/2015/01/09/adventures-in-tasteful-living/

Eso salió bien. Y ahora, para no irme por las ramas, ¿podrías nombrar los mejores cómics que has leído en los últimos 2 años?

“Thomas Alsop” de Chris Miskiewicz y Palle Schmidt de Boom Studios, es excelente. El primer tomo acaba de salir. Me encanta “The Sixth Gun” de Bunn y Hurtt de Oni Press. Además, “The Bunker” de Fialkov e Infurnari, no te puedes perder esa serie.

He oído muchos elogios sobre la serie que mencionas. ¿Cómo describirías tu experiencia con Dean Haspiel en “Creator Owned Heroes”?

Dino es lo máximo. Él es un profesional total y el tío más agradable y divertido, todo al mismo tiempo. Toma su trabajo muy en serio, y colaborar en esa historia con nuestra propuesta inicial fue una delicia. Él me motiva a hacer mi mejor trabajo. Si no has leído su colaboración con Mark Waid para “The Fox”, en Archie, te la recomiendo, y las ediciones en tapa dura de Billy Dogma que ha estado sacando Z2 Comics son obras maestras del absurdo.

Tengo una curiosidad. ¿Cuál es el asunto con la máscara que llevas en tu perfil de ComiXology y Google?

Yo usaba mucho esa máscara en el escenario cuando salía con mi banda de rock y ciencia-ficción Americans UK, y por eso está tan gastada. Mi amigo Seth Kushner tomó esa foto, y es una de mis fotos favoritas, tomada por un verdadero maestro de la cámara. Perdimos a Seth hace poco, y el mundo los cómics -demonios, todo el mundo- se lamenta. A la mierda con el cáncer.

Nunca conocí a Seth Kushner pero admiraba con su trabajo. Era muy talentoso. Y ya para terminar, ¿qué otros proyectos estás planeando luego de “Odd Schnozz”?

Mi banda Americans UK sacará nuestro próximo video de rock de ciencia-ficción de alta gama "Fenómeno-na", a finales de junio. Si Odd Schnozz vol. 1 se vende bien, espero tener la oportunidad de escribir otro libro de la serie. Tengo la historia esbozada para 3 volúmenes en total, y también he escrito algunas notas para un crossover entre Odd Schnozz y Americans UK que sería increíble, pero probablemente nunca sucederá. Siempre estoy generando nuevas propuestas y nuevas historias.

¡Gracias por hablar conmigo, Arcadio!

¡De nada Jeffrey!

No comments:

Post a Comment