July 25, 2012

Hit-Girl # 1 - Mark Millar


It would be long and boring to explain why the first issue of Kick-Ass that I read wasn’t actually # 1 but rather the fourth installment of this groundbreaking miniseries. I had only read Millar’s Superman: Red Son, and prompted by his brilliant and sensitive portrayal of a soviet Man of Steel I had decided to give Kick-Ass a chance.

Reading Kick-Ass # 4, I felt like a fish at the sea. For all I cared, oxygen wasn’t so vital anymore because I was swimming in nerdiness and geekyness! Reading the daring exploits of Dave as a fake gay trying to obtain the attention of his beloved Katie was both tender and endearing; watching Dave interacting to other fanboys and comparing Whedon’s wonderful run in Astonishing X-Men versus his well-known TV -Buffy the Vampire Slayer- filled my heart with joy. After finishing issue # 4 I knew that I would be a Kick-Ass fan for life. But there was something else about this issue, something very special. I had seen Kick-Ass in covers and I had read a couple of interviews with Millar explaining the nature of the character so he was no stranger to me, but what I had never seen or heard of was Big Daddy and Hit-Girl. And I think it would be fair to say that they pretty much stole the show.

Four years later I hold in my hands the first issue of Hit-Girl, a spinoff miniseries focused on the only 8 year-old girl capable of saying words like ‘bitch’ or ‘cunt’ and get away with it. Of course, maiming and killing criminals without ever getting caught is no easy task either. At the end of Kick-Ass volume 1, we saw Mindy McCready (AKA Hit-Girl) in a normal home, trying to live the childhood she had so far been denied. 
Mindy (Hit-Girl) & Dave (Kick-Ass)

But try as she may, failure seemed to be the only option. Because, after all, how could a lethal weapon -the perfect killing machine- ever adapt to normal life in an anodyne school? For all her cunning and unparalleled fighting skills, Mindy will soon learn that she can’t defeat regular school girls. They notice something weird about her. She doesn’t fit in, she doesn’t wear the clothes she should, she doesn’t listen to pop music, she isn’t a “normal girl”. She’s veritably an outsider.   

This is the premise of Hit-Girl’s first issue, and I have to admit that Millar has done it again. Reading these pages I felt transported to 2008, and it was as if I was reading Kick-Ass for the first time. All that wonderment, all those feelings of something new and exciting came back to me. I read hundreds of new comic books each year and most of the time I find a few things that I like and a lot of things that I don’t like in each title. Only a few authors seem to reverse this equation. Reading Hit-Girl I found so many things that I loved that, even if I’d tried harder, I wouldn’t have found anything unlikeable. 

When Dave and Mindy are talking at lunch hour something clicked inside of me. This is how comics should be. They should make you care so much for the characters that you become completely and helplessly fascinated by their lives, you become so emotionally invested in them that everything that happens to them touches you one way or another. You cannot remain indifferent to Mindy being humiliated by a bunch of immature girls, you cannot stop marveling at the Machiavellian plans of Red Mist, and above all, you cannot avoid passion and joy towards the ninth art. That’s how good this first issue is. You should all read it. And I mean it.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Sería largo y aburrido explicar por qué el primer número que leí de Kick-Ass no fue el # 1 sino el cuarto. Sólo había leído "Superman: Red Son" de Millar y movido por su brillante y sensible retrato de un Hombre de Acero soviético decidí darle una oportunidad a Kick-Ass.
Red Mist

Cuando leí Kick-Ass # 4 me sentí como un pez en el agua. El oxígeno ya no era vital porque estaba nadando entre nerds y geeks. Al leer las emocionantes aventuras de Dave como un falso gay que intenta obtener la atención de su amada Katie sentí interés y ternura; al mirar a Dave interactuando con otros fans y comparando la maravillosa etapa de Whedon en Astonishing X-Men versus su conocida serie de televisión -Buffy la cazadora de vampiros- me llené de alegría. Después de terminar el # 4 sabía que sería un fan de Kick-Ass de por vida. Pero había algo más, algo muy especial. Había visto a Kick-Ass en las portadas y había leído entrevistas de Millar que explicaban la génesis del personaje así que no me resultaba ajeno, pero nunca había visto a Big Daddy y Hit-Girl. Y creo que sería justo decir que ellos fueron las estrellas.

Cuatro años después sujeto en mis manos el primer número de Hit-Girl, una miniserie enfocada en la única niña de 8 años capaz de decir palabrotas y salirse con la suya. Desde luego, mutilar y matar criminales sin ser capturada tampoco es una tarea fácil. Al final del volumen 1 de Kick-Ass vimos a Mindy McCready (Hit-Girl) en un hogar normal, intentando vivir la infancia que le había sido negado.
My drawing (pencils & inks) /
mi dibujo (lápices y tintas)

Pero aunque intentara ser normal fracasaría. Porque, después de todo, ¿cómo podría un arma letal -una máquina asesina- adaptarse a una vida rutinaria en un colegio anodino? Ni su astucia ni sus incomparables habilidades de combate le servirán para defenderse de las niñas comunes y corrientes. Ellas notan algo extraño en Mindy. No encaja, no usa el tipo de ropa que ellas usan, no escucha música pop, no es una "chica normal". Ella es genuinamente una marginal.

Esta es la premisa del primer número de Hit-Girl, y debo admitir que Millar lo ha logrado nuevamente. Al leer estas páginas me sentí transportado al 2008, y fue como si estuviera leyendo Kick-Ass por primera vez. Todo ese asombro, todos esos sentimientos de algo nuevo y emocionante regresaron a mí. Leo cientos de cómics nuevos cada año y la mayor parte del tiempo encuentra algunas cosas que me gustan y muchas que me disgustan en cada título. Sólo unos pocos autores son capaces de revertir esta ecuación. Leyendo Hit-Girl encontré tantas cosas que me gustaron que, incluso haciendo el esfuerzo, no habría podido encontrar puntos en contra.

Cuando Dave y Mindy están hablando a la hora del almuerzo algo se despertó en mi interior. Así es como deberían ser los cómics. Deberían hacer que los personajes te importen tanto que terminas completamente fascinado por sus vidas, y la emoción es tan fuerte que si algo les pasa te sientes conmovido por ello. No puedes permanecer indiferente cuando Mindy es humillada por un grupito de niñas inmaduras, no puedes dejar de maravillarte ante los maquiavélicos planes de Red Mist y, sobre todo, no puedes evitar la pasión hacia el noveno arte. Así de bueno es este primer número. Todos deberían leerlo. De veras.

6 comments:

  1. Tambien tendrias que darle parte del credito a romita ya que el mundo de kick ass y sus personajes no seria el mismo sin su arte.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tienes toda la razón. Para el segundo número me aseguraré de darle a Romita Jr. el crédito que merece.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed "Kick-Ass" (the movie). I wonder if I should pick up "Hit Girl".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I've only read the first issue, but I'd say yes. Hit-Girl takes place precisely after the events of the Kick-Ass movie.

      Delete
  3. Kick Ass foi o máximo!
    Hit Girl pode ser ainda melhor! Sempre me perguntei porque é que nunca tinham aproveitado aquela personagem com tanto potencial... ora aí está! Hit-Girl a rolar em grande! Esse não posso perder!!!!
    :D
    O teu desenho está bem conseguido na expressão do homem e na atenção do cão. Se houvesse alguma coisa a melhorar, penso que apenas seria na mão que segura o cachimbo. A face do homem está muito boa! Gostei!
    ;)

    Abraço

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sin duda, desde su primera aparición Hit-Girl siempre fue un personaje impresionante.

      Qué bueno que te haya gustado mi dibujo, creo que la cara salió bastante bien.

      Saludos.

      Delete