August 22, 2016

2016- Chicago's Wizard World Comic Con

Ever since high school one of my many unaccomplished dreams was to go to comic book conventions. Of course, traveling from Peru all the way to the US just to attend a con seemed like an extravagant whim. But when I got my first comic published in 2010 my desire to make the journey kept on increasing. 

Yesterday, I was finally able to do what I had been postponing for so long. After having recently relocated to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, it was very easy to spend a couple of hours to get to Chicago, to the Wizard World Con. I woke up at 5:30am, walked for an hour to get to the Intermodal Station and took a Greyhound bus to Chicago. 

I know Wizard World is not one of the biggest cons in the US, but to a convention-neophyte like me it looked huge. As soon as I got there I went straight to the artists alley, and said hello to Arthur Suydam (I met him in Lima a couple of years ago), but I also had a chance to talk very briefly with Salvador Larroca and Humberto Ramos.

Then I navigated as best as I could through thousands of comics that were on sale. And when I mean on sale I mean it. Since it was the last day there were some very generous discounts. There were single issues for only 20 cents each and I decided to select “just a few”. In the end, I found a lot of comics that I wanted to buy and at some point I had to stop because I couldn’t carry any more weight. It’s the first time in my life that I instead of running out of money I had to stop because I couldn’t handle the weight. I also found brand new trade paperbacks and even hardcovers for only 3 dollars (instead of the usual 24.99 cover price). Although I no longer had any strength left, I still bought a few. Needless to say, I barely managed to get to bus station and return to Milwaukee. This was such a fun day! Can’t wait for the next con.
________________________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Desde que estaba en el colegio uno de mis muchos deseos insatisfechos era ir a las convenciones de cómics. Por supuesto, viajar desde Perú hasta Estados Unidos sólo para asistir a uno de estos eventos parecía un capricho extravagante. Pero cuando mi primer cómic fue publicado en el 2010 mi deseo de hacer el viaje siguió aumentando.

Ayer, por fin pude hacer aquello que había estado posponiendo durante tanto tiempo. Hace poco me mudé a Milwaukee, Wisconsin, así que fue muy fácil llegar a Chicago, para la convención de Wizard World. Me desperté a las 5:30am, caminé por una hora hasta llegar a la estación intermodal y tomé un autobús Greyhound a Chicago.

Yo sé que Wizard World no es una de las más grandes, pero para alguien sin experiencia en este tipo de eventos a mí me parecía algo enorme. Apenas llegué, fui directamente al artists alley, y saludé a Arthur Suydam (a él lo conocí en Lima hace un par de años), pero también tuve la oportunidad de hablar brevemente con Salvador Larroca y Humberto Ramos.

Luego navegué lo mejor que pude a través de miles de cómics que estaban a la venta. Y cuando me refiero a la venta lo digo en serio. Como era el último día hubo descuentos muy generosos. Había ejemplares individuales a sólo 20 centavos cada uno y yo decidí seleccionar "unos cuantos". Al final, encontré un montón de cómics que quería comprar y en algún momento tuve que parar porque no podía cargar más peso. Es la primera vez en mi vida que en lugar de quedarme sin dinero tuve que detenerme porque no podía soportar el peso. También encontré tomos recopilatorios y en tapa dura a apenas 3 dólares (en vez de costar 25 dólares, que es el precio de portada). A pesar de que ya no me quedaba ninguna fuerza, igual compré algunos. No hace falta explicar que con las justas logré llegar a la estación de autobuses y regresar a Milwaukee. Fue un día realmente divertido. Estoy impaciente por ir a la próxima convención.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had fun. I guess next time you need to bring some people to help carry stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and I think that if I had fun going on my own it'd be much better to go with friends!

      Delete
  2. Bring a collapsible dolly. Take a small magazine box and use a bungee cord to attach it to the dolly. You will then be able to transport an entire box of finds around a convention! Getting them home on the bus might be tricky, but the dolly will fold up for easy storage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kris! That's a great idea. I really appreciate it.

      Delete