June 13, 2018

Memorial Union - Madison

When I first started this blog, I didn't write about comics, I didn't write about movies. In fact, I barely wrote at all. Instead of plaguing the internet with my opinions about the 7th and 9th art, what I did at the beginning was more akin to (artistic) exhibitionism than anything else. Every week, I would share sketches and drawings with my 2 or 3 readers (at the time I was lucky if I had more than a dozen visits per day, I'm talking years before I crossed the 1 million mark).
my drawing from 2008 / mi dibujo del 2008

Although to a lesser degree I've tried to do the same in following years, including some of my random illustrations in certain posts and so on, since I left Peru in 2016 it has been quite difficult to actually sit down and draw. 

Today, taking a look at old drawings, I found one of the oldest ones (which also happens to be one of my favorites). It may not seem like much but it helped me realize, at the time, how hard it was to draw a guy just sitting down and writing on his notebook (I remember I did this when I was in class, and I simply drew the guy that was sitting next to me). This was done in 2008, if I recall correctly, with 2B Pencil. It's hard to believe I did this 10 years ago.

And today, after meeting with a friend at the Memorial Union here in Madison, we both participated in free art event. All supplies were provided, and we both sat down at the terrace, next to the peaceful lake Mendota, and drew and painted for a couple of hours. I had a great time and I realized how much I missed holding a pencil in my hands. I've decided to share the result of those two hours, keep in mind, though, that I'm much better at penciling or even inking than I am at painting. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cuando comencé este blog, no escribía sobre comics ni sobre películas. De hecho, apenas escribía. En lugar de invadir el internet con mis opiniones sobre el séptimo y el noveno arte, lo que hice al principio fue más parecido al exhibicionismo (artístico) que a cualquier otra cosa. Cada semana, compartía bocetos y dibujos con mis 2 o 3 lectores (en esa época tenía suerte si alcanzaba más de una docena de visitas por día, estoy hablando de varios años antes superar la marca de 1 millón de lectores).

Aunque en menor grado, intenté hacer algo parecido los años siguientes, y así llegué a incluir algunas de mis ilustraciones en ciertos posts, claro que desde que me fui de Perú en 2016, ha sido bastante difícil sentarme y dibujar.
Memorial Union
Hoy, al echar un vistazo a mis viejos dibujos, encontré uno de los más antiguos (que también es uno de mis favoritos). Puede que no parezca nada especial, pero me ayudó a darme cuenta, en ese momento, de lo difícil que era dibujar a un chico sentado y escribiendo en su cuaderno (recuerdo que lo hice cuando estaba en clase, y simplemente dibujé al tipo que estaba sentado a mi lado). Lo hice el 2008, si mal no recuerdo, con un lápiz 2B. Es difícil creer que fue hace 10 años.

Y hoy, después de reunirme con un amigo en el Memorial Union aquí en Madison, ambos participamos en un evento de arte gratuito. Nos dieron todos los suministros, y ambos nos sentamos en la terraza, junto al apacible lago Mendota, y dibujamos y pintamos durante un par de horas. He decidido compartir el resultado de esas dos horas, pero eso sí, tened en cuenta que soy mucho mejor dibujando a lápiz o incluso entintando que pintando. 

2 comments:

  1. No matter what it's better than I could do. Stick figures are more my speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's how we all begin! With stick figures!

      Delete