September 18, 2018

Diablo House - Ted Adams & Santipérez

When I was around 12, I would often sneak into my school’s library during break. I guess I wasn’t too interested in playing soccer or in any of the other activities that were to be expected from students at the time. But I didn’t really read novels when I was at the library, nor did I play chess like a couple of my friends used to do. Every time I was there I would take a loot at the comic book collection that was available at the library. Because of the wisdom and audacity of the founder and principal of the school, there were no such things as age restrictions for us, so I could just as easily put my hands on an Asterix graphic novel or on Creepy issues from the 70s.

Evidently, I’ve always been an avid comic book reader, and those classic horror comics published by Warren in the United States (and by Toutain in Spain) were so different to the many Tintin or Asterix issues I had been reading up to that point, and not only because of the violence or the elements of sexuality, I’d dare say there was a unique visual language in those comics, and both writers and artists were ready to push the boundaries of the medium.


In the 90s, Toutain included some amazing works by Santipérez in Creepy and Comix Internacional, with such extraordinary miniseries like Valle Paraíso, the Spanish artist quickly became one of my favorite horror creators. I have been waiting for years, decades even, for the next Santipérez project, and when I saw Diablo House in IDW solicitations, I was ecstatic. Diablo House is a 4-issue miniseries that reminds me why I used to enjoy so much those classic Creepy comics, and it was most certainly worth the wait. 
architecture inspired by Gaudí / arquitectura inspirada por Gaudí
Although Ted Adams seems to be famous only because of his position as IDW’s CEO, he’s also a writer in his own right and a true connoisseur of the 9th art. According to Adams’ statement in interview for CBR, “I was in Barcelona last year for the Barcelona Comics Festival, and was doing portfolio reviews […] I met an artist named Santipérez. It’s very rare that this happens. But I loved his art so much that I actually tried to buy some of his original art when he was showing it to me, which he wouldn’t sell me. But I hired him basically on the spot to do some work for us”. 
silent suicide / suicidio silencioso
I’m not surprised at all by Adams’ story, and I’m sure that if I would have been able to hold Santipérez originals in my hand, I would have tried to buy them right there, hell, I might even have sold my soul to obtain that magnificent art. And selling your soul to the devil is precisely what’s behind the basic narrative structure of this miniseries: “The premise is that there’s a house in La Jolla, California, called Diablo House, which is modeled after Antoni Gaudí’s work in Barcelona. Basically, in this house, there’s a host, just like there would be in classic horror comics, and people can go in and essentially sell their soul to their devil. Every issue’s going to be a throwback to those twisted tales from the ’70s. Every issue is going to be a standalone story”, explains Adams. I love standalone issues, I love Gaudi, I love classic horror; and, what a coincidence, two years ago, before moving to Wisconsin, I reviewed Santipérez’s Valle Paraíso, and now, a few days after relocating to California, I get the chance to enjoy a story that takes place in the Golden State.
inside Diablo House / dentro de Diablo House
Published from July to December 2017, Diablo House gives Santipérez the opportunity to impress the readers with his amazing artistic skill. In the pages of Diablo House we can find the ominous and impressive architectural texture of the Gaudí-inspired house, but also the insanely beautiful and fascinating inner structure of the house (in a double page spread, Santipérez plays with perspective, dimensions and composition, but he also adds an infinitude of details that invites us to imagine what could be hidden behind each door); the silent page, especially the suicide panel, presented as a photograph, reminds me so much of Valle Paraíso that I could not stop staring at it; as usual, Santipérez’s portrayal of youth is fascinating, as we can see in in the scene in which two friends talk about how to hook up with girls, and of course, there is also plenty of sensuality and eroticism, but also incredibly crazy and original designs, like Riley’s car or the table in the last page. 

Just one panel of Santipérez is enough to produce in all of us unprecedented levels of visual delight, and even in the hypothetical scenario that he would have only illustrated a single page in 2017, he would still deserve the Arion’s Achievement Award for Best Artist. I highly recommend Diablo House to all comic book readers and, most especially, to fans of the horror genre. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.

________________________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cuando tenía unos 12 años, a menudo me colaba en la biblioteca de mi escuela durante el recreo. Supongo que no estaba demasiado interesado en jugar fútbol o en ninguna de las otras actividades que eran habituales para los estudiantes en aquellos tiempos. Pero realmente no leía novelas cuando estaba en la biblioteca, ni jugaba al ajedrez como solían hacer algunos de mis amigos. Cada vez que estaba allí, echaba un vistazo a la colección de cómics que estaba disponible en la biblioteca. Debido a la sabiduría y audacia del fundador y director de la escuela, no existían restricciones de edad para nosotros, así que podía ponerle las manos a una novela gráfica de Asterix o a los ejemplares de Creepy de los 70s.

things you need to know to pick up girls / cosas que necesitas saber para ligar con las chicas
Evidentemente, siempre he sido un ávido lector de comics, y esos cómics de terror clásicos publicados por Warren en los Estados Unidos (y por Toutain en España) eran tan diferentes a los muchos Tintín o Asterix que había estado leyendo hasta ese momento, y no solo por la violencia o los elementos de sexualidad, me atrevería a decir que había un lenguaje visual único en esos comics, y tanto los escritores como los artistas estaban listos para superar los límites del medio.

En los 90s, Toutain incluyó algunas increíbles obras de Santipérez en Creepy y Comix Internacional, con miniseries tan extraordinarias como
 Valle Paraíso, el artista español se convirtió rápidamente en uno de mis autores de terror favoritos. He estado esperando durante años, incluso décadas, por el siguiente proyecto de Santipérez, y cuando vi a Diablo House en los anuncios de IDW, quedé entusiasmado. Diablo House es una miniserie de 4 ejemplares que me recuerda por qué solía disfrutar tanto con los clásicos cómics de Creepy, y sin duda la espera valió la pena.
the disco era / la era del disco
Aunque Ted Adams sea más conocido por su posición como CEO de IDW, también es un escritor y un verdadero conocedor del noveno arte. Según la declaración de Adams en una entrevista para CBR, “estuve en Barcelona el año pasado para el Barcelona Comics Festival, y estaba haciendo revisiones de portafolios [...] conocí a un artista llamado Santipérez. Es muy raro que esto suceda. Pero amaba tanto su arte que en realidad traté de comprar algo de su arte original cuando me lo mostró, y él no me lo vendió. Pero lo contraté ahí mismo básicamente para que haga algún trabajo para nosotros”.
a car from hell / un auto del infierno
No me sorprende en absoluto la historia de Adams, y estoy seguro de que si yo hubiera podido tener los originales de Santipérez en la mano, habría intentado comprarlos allí, demonios, incluso podría haber vendido mi alma para obtener ese magnífico arte. Y vender tu alma al diablo es precisamente lo que hay detrás de la estructura narrativa básica de esta miniserie: “La premisa es que hay una casa en La Jolla, California, llamada Diablo House, que sigue el modelo del trabajo de Antoni Gaudí en Barcelona. Básicamente, en esta casa, hay un anfitrión, al igual que en los cómics de terror clásicos, y la gente puede entrar y esencialmente vender su alma al demonio. Cada número va a ser una reminiscencia a esos relatos retorcidos de los años 70s. Cada número va a ser una historia independiente”, explica Adams. Me encantan los cómics autoconclusivos, amo a Gaudí, me encanta el terror clásico; y, qué casualidad, hace dos años, antes de mudarme a Wisconsin, reseñé el Valle Paraíso de Santipérez, y ahora, unos días después de mudarme a California, tengo la oportunidad de disfrutar de una historia que tiene lugar en el Golden State.
fantasy and horror / fantasía y horror
Publicado desde julio a diciembre de 2017, Diablo House le da a Santipérez la oportunidad de impresionar a los lectores con su increíble habilidad artística. En las páginas de Diablo House podemos encontrar la siniestra e impresionante textura arquitectónica de la casa inspirada en Gaudí, pero también la increíblemente bella y fascinante estructura interna de la casa (en una doble página, Santipérez juega con la perspectiva, las dimensiones y la composición, pero también agrega una infinidad de detalles que nos invita a imaginar qué es lo que podría ocultarse detrás de cada puerta); la página muda, especialmente la viñeta del suicidio, presentada como una fotografía, me recordaba tanto a Valle Paraíso que no podía dejar de mirarla; como de costumbre, la representación de Santipérez de la juventud es fascinante, como podemos ver en la escena en la que dos amigos hablan sobre cómo ligar con chicas, y por supuesto, también hay mucha sensualidad y erotismo, pero también diseños increíblemente alocados y originales, como el auto de Riley o la mesa en la última página.

Una sola viñeta de Santipérez es suficiente para producir en todos nosotros niveles de deleite visual sin precedentes, e incluso en el hipotético caso de que sólo hubiese ilustrado una página en el 2017, igual se merecería el Arion's Achievement Award a mejor artista. Recomiendo Diablo House a todos los lectores de cómics y, especialmente, a los fanáticos del género de terror. Garantizo que no se decepcionarán.

5 comments:

  1. That's some creepy art. I don't think we had comics in my school library but then I went to a Lutheran elementary school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the art is amazing !
      Lutheran? I didn't know that.

      Delete
  2. My Dear Arcadio you are amazing Im very proud Its a wonderful block, you are an expert about all of arts comic book sincerely congratulations you inspire me

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete