July 6, 2020

Flinch # 2

As I’m sure you’ll remember, I wrote a review about the first issue of Flinch, a Vertigo horror anthology that I had been meaning to read for a long time. Fortunately, I was able to find the first issues for only a dollar each at the local comic book store in Davis, California. So the temptation was too great to resist and I bought them, even though I had already bought more than 60 back issues that very same day. But I’m glad I did, because the writers and artists that participate in the anthology are all extraordinary.
Richard Corben
This second issue came out in July 1999, and of course the most striking thing about it is the magnificent cover by Richard Corben, who had illustrated dozens of covers for Creepy and other comics intended for a mature audience. The skeleton covered in spiderwebs that has trapped a girl in a bones prison is a clever idea from Corben, but of course, one could expect no less from a man that had decades of experience in the genre. 
Bill Sienkiewicz

Just like the first issue, this one is also divided in 3 stories. The first one is “Maggie and her Microscope”, written by Dean Motter and penciled and inked by Bill Sienkiewicz. The story tells us how a scientist is doing research on a virus that might infect people, creating a dangerous epidemic, and then we have the scientist’s daughter, a girl that seems to be somewhat mentally unstable and that tries to release the virus. I think normally I would enjoy reading this kind of story, but keeping in mind that we’re going through the real life horror of the Coronavirus and the world’s deadliest pandemic ever, somehow this story seems trivial.  


Curiously, my favorite story here is “Found Object” and comes from authors that I wasn’t familiar with. In general I pride myself of being a comic book expert, but there will always be writers or artists that I’m not familiar with, and such is the case with writer Bob Fingerman and artist Pat McEown, who reminds me so much of Spanish creator Miguel Ángel Martín and his controversial works, such as Psychopathia Sexualis. “Found Object” has a similar tone, in terms of perversity and violence, which makes it even more similar to Miguel Ángel Martín’s comics. Great plot, great art and the ending is surprising and shocking.

When I read the first issue of “100 Bullets” years after it became extremely popular, I must admit I didn’t see what all the fuzz was about. Sure, maybe if I had read more issues I would’ve been more interested in the series, but for some reason Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso haven’t been as popular with me as they are with their thousands of fans. They’re the creative team in charge of “Food Chain”, and I’m absolutely convinced that fans of “100 Bullets” would love this story, but alas, I’m not. I’m not saying it’s bad, it’s simply not my cup of tea.

________________________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Como seguramente recordarán, escribí una reseña sobre el primer número de
 Flinch, una antología de terror de Vértigo que había querido leer durante mucho tiempo. Afortunadamente, pude encontrar los primeros números por apenas un dólar cada uno en la tienda local de cómics en Davis, California. Así que la tentación fue demasiado fuerte para resistir y los compré, a pesar de que ya había comprado más de 60 cómics ese mismo día. Pero me alegro de haberlo hecho, porque los escritores y artistas que participan en la antología son todos extraordinarios.
Pat McEown
Este segundo número salió en julio de 1999 y, por supuesto, lo más sorprendente es la magnífica portada de Richard Corben, quien había ilustrado docenas de portadas para Creepy y otros cómics destinados a un público maduro. El esqueleto cubierto de telarañas que ha atrapado a una chica en una prisión de huesos es una idea inteligente de Corben, pero por supuesto, uno no podría esperar menos de un hombre que tenía décadas de experiencia en el género.
Eduardo Risso

Al igual que el primer número, este también se divide en 3 historias. La primera es "Maggie y su microscopio", escrita por Dean Motter y con dibujos y tintas de Bill Sienkiewicz. La historia nos cuenta cómo un científico está investigando un virus que podría infectar a las personas, creando una epidemia peligrosa, y luego tenemos a la hija del científico, una niña que parece ser mentalmente inestable y que trata de esparser el virus. Creo que normalmente me gustaría leer este tipo de historia, pero teniendo en cuenta que estamos atravesando el horror de la vida real del Coronavirus y la pandemia más mortal del mundo, de alguna manera esta historia parece trivial.


Curiosamente, mi historia favorita aquí es "Objeto encontrado" y proviene de autores con los que no estaba familiarizado. En general, me enorgullezco de ser un experto en cómics, pero siempre habrá escritores o artistas con los que no estoy familiarizado, y tal es el caso del escritor Bob Fingerman y el artista Pat McEown, que me recuerda mucho al creador español Miguel Ángel Martín y sus obras controversiales, como Psychopathia Sexualis. "Objeto encontrado" tiene un tono similar, en términos de perversidad y violencia, lo que lo hace aún más similar a los cómics de Miguel Ángel Martín. Gran trama, gran arte y el final es sorprendente e impactante.


Cuando leí el primer número de "100 balas" años después de que se volviera extremadamente popular, debo admitir que no vi qué tenía de especial. Claro, tal vez si hubiera leído más números, me hubiera interesado más por este título, pero por alguna razón Brian Azzarello y Eduardo Risso no han sido tan populares conmigo como lo son con sus miles de fanáticos. Ellos son el equipo creativo a cargo de "Cadena alimenticia", y estoy absolutamente convencido de que a los fanáticos de "100 balas" les encantaría esta historia, pero, por desgracia, no soy un fan. No digo que sea mala, simplemente no es lo que busco en una antología de terror.


5 comments:

  1. I've read some Azzarello, I think mostly his run on Wonder Woman for the New 52 and the Dark Knight Returns III. Bill Sienkiewicz I've heard of, but I don't remember what in particular he drew that I read.

    I loved the original Twilight Zone and I watch horror movies but for some reason I never really got into horror comics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to at least check out a few issues of Azzarello's WW run.

      Delete
  2. Imagino ya viste "Joker", de Azzarello. De mis favoritos de mi colección. Una secuela de la película en solitario de Joker sería magnífica basándose en ese cómic en especial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No tengo el Joker de Azzarello y Bermejo. Pero está en mi lista. Lo conseguiré pronto espero.

      Delete
  3. No lo he leido, pero el estilo de Corben queda perfecto a esa portada!

    ReplyDelete