November 24, 2011

Romantic Comics by Arcadio Bolaños Acevedo

my page for Vol. 7 / mi página para Vol. 7
I don’t like romantic movies, I hate Saint Valentine’s Day and I’m against constant manifestations of affection, mainly because they remind me that, until recently, I was completely alone. I’m not a romantic guy and although logic would dictate that I remain consistent with my irks I have no choice but to admit that I loved –yes, in the most romantic meaning of the word- this fifth volume.

And why did I love this issue so much? For starters, you have creative teams like the one formed by Gary Hogan and Blake Sims telling a story about teenage love and high school without falling into clichés or the typical resolutions you see in movies. When I first read the work of these guys in volume 2, I knew they would keep on producing amazing stories.
Newsarama mentions this anthology

Staci Matthews and Lisa Goletz (a name all too familiar for those who have bought the issue via PayPal), prove that they’re wonderful writers (of course, Aaron Bir’s magnificent art doesn’t hurt either). In “Postcards” a woman receives postcards that are not addressed to her, and before long she falls in love with the man sending these postcards. But if they finally meet, could idealization compete with reality?

Untitled by Aaron Cameron and James Roberts is a funny tale, with quite a unique setting. James Roberts had already drawn a couple of top notch pages on the first horror volume, and once again he proves to be an amazing artist: he even makes us feel emotionally connected to a dog and his bone.

Jenny Langin won me over with her first frames. She has a way with words, an undeniable talent for writing, and together with Amanda Rachels illustrations, Green Carnations turns out to be one hell of a story. They put hormones, awkwardness and high school and mix it all in a blender, the result is a delicious cocktail that can make even a grumpy guy like me feel moved.
Storyboard

Lee Giles is a dedicated artist, you can notice all the effort he puts into the pages of Gut Check, the careful rendering of shadows, the etching-like quality of his textures, this a guy who knows what’s he doing (no wonder he’s illustrating 4 full issues for the miniseries “Ever After”); Nick Chervenak gives us a strong, emotive story about a female boxer that must survive through the experience of getting brutally hit on the face while keeping a relationship with the man she loves. With only two pages, this was quite a pleasant surprise.

I’ll Be Home Soon is one of my personal favorites. Set in the 40s, we see a man writing his last love letter to the woman he loves. He doesn’t know it yet, but he won’t survive the Pearl Harbor attack. Many years later, the woman and her son remember the brave man. Jason Snyder and Michael Sumislaski are terrific storytellers.

Three Weeks, written by Cal Cleary and drawn by me is, according to Glenn Matchett unlike “anything we've seen in the Gathering before so again it's something different. This story deals with that old familiar feeling of rejection and how to move on until perhaps one day getting what you wanted in the first place. The story is told well […] Arcadio's art is great as he once again delivers a completely different type of tale but does so very well”. Thanks Glenn!

We’ve Met Before is one of the most solid, well-structured stories in this volume. I had read Chris Maze’s previous works and I had really enjoyed them, and this time his story struck an emotional cord within me (did I already mention that I’m not a romantic guy?). The six pages story begins in an art gallery (and everyone already knows how much I love art galleries!), and it’s about old flames and walking into someone you loved in the past and lost touch at some point. A guy and a girl are reunited, and as they reminisce the past, they come to a conclusion: there’s always a second chance for love. Pat Loika and Calix Vincent provide some of the best art in this volume.

And at last, but certainly not least, I’d like to praise Young Romance by Ignacio Segura & Paula Cobb. Ignacio has improved a lot as a writer since issue # 1. I felt immediately drawn to the protagonist, a high school girl, with a huge crush on the pretty blonde boy of the class. You can almost feel the tension in the classroom atmosphere, and the planning of the frames is really outstanding (kudos to Paula!). It has a bit of a sad ending, and perhaps that’s one of the things I like the most about it. Really good work guys!

Actually, I think our Romance volume has plenty of good stories. This is an example of creative writers and artists doing the very best they can. And the result, obviously, is an anthology that reminds us why is it that we love comic books so much!

I’m also including a couple of storyboards I did for a TV ad that’s supposed to start filming next month. I got hired by one of my best friends, Rafael Velásquez. I had to do 6 of these in less than a day, so that’s why it looks kind of unfinished.
_____________________________________
Storyboard

No me gustan las películas románticas, odio el día de San Valentín y estoy en contra de las constantes manifestaciones de afecto, principalmente porque me recuerdan que, hasta hace poco, estaba realmente solo. No soy romántico y aunque la lógica dictaría que permanezca fiel a mis disgustos, no tengo otra opción que admitir que me enamoré -en el sentido más romántico de la palabra- de nuestro quinto volumen.

¿Y qué es lo que me encantó de esta nueva entrega? Para comenzar, hay equipos creativos como el que está formado por Gary Hogan y Blake Sims, que narran una historia de amor adolescente en la secundaria, y lo hacen sin caer en los clichés o en las típicas resoluciones de las películas.

Staci Matthews y Lisa Goletz demuestran que son unas escritoras maravillosas (por supuesto el magnífico arte de Aaron Bir ayuda). En "Postcards", una mujer recibe postales que no van dirigidas a ella, y termina enamorándose del hombre que las envía. Cuando se conocen, ¿podrá la idealización competir con la realidad?

"Untitled" de Aaron Cameron y James Roberts es un divertido relato que cuenta con arte de primer nivel por parte de James Roberts, quien logra hacer que nos sintamos emocionalmente conectados a un perro y su hueso.

Jenny Langin me cautivó con sus primeras viñetas; además de su innegable talento para escribir, las buenas ilustraciones de  Amanda Rachels hacen de "Green Carnations" una gran historia. Ellas mezclan hormonas, torpeza juvenil y colegio y el resultado es un delicioso cóctel que puede lograr que incluso un renegón como yo se sienta conmovido.

Lee Giles es un artista dedicado, y eso se nota en las páginas de "Gut Check", el cuidadoso manejo de sombras y las texturas que logra demuestran que él es alguien que sabe lo que está haciendo (no sorprende entonces que ilustre íntegramente los 4 números de la miniserie “Ever After”); Nick Chervenak nos proporciona una historia con fuerza y emoción sobre una boxeadora que ha sido brutalmente golpeada en la cara y ahora debe lidiar con su pareja.
Storyboard

"I’ll Be Home Soon" es una de mis favoritas. Ambientada en los 40, un hombre escribe su última carta de amor antes de morir en el bombardeo de Pearl Harbor. Muchos años después, la mujer que lo amaba y su hijo recuerdan al valiente hombre. Aquí, Jason Snyder y Michael Sumislaski forman un gran equipo.

"Three Weeks", escrita por Cal Cleary y dibujada por mí es -de acuerdo a Glenn Matchett- "distinto a todo lo que hemos visto antes en The Gathering [...] Esta historia lidia con el viejo y conocido sentimiento del rechazo, y cómo superarlo hasta que tal vez un día consigamos lo que queríamos en primer lugar. La historia está bien contada [...] El arte de arcadio es grandioso y él nuevamente entrega un tipo de historia completamente diferente pero lo hace muy bien". ¡Gracias Glenn!

"We’ve Met Before" es una de las más sólidas y mejor estructuradas historias en este volumen. Había disfrutado mucho con los trabajos previos de Chris Maze, y esta vez su historia tocó una cuerda emocional en mi interior (y eso que ya mencioné que no soy nada romántico). El cómic de seis páginas empieza en una galería de arte (¡ya todos saben que me encantan las galerías de arte!), y es sobre amores del pasado y reencuentros. Un chico y una chica se ven de casualidad después de mucho tiempo, y mientras recuerdan el pasado llegan a una conclusión: siempre hay una segunda oportunidad para el amor. Pat Loika y Calix Vincent producen algunas de las mejores páginas de esta antología.

Y por último, me gustaría elogiar “Young Romance” de Ignacio Segura & Paula Cobb. Ignacio ha mejorado muchísimo como escritor desde el primer número. Me sentí inmediatamente seducido por la protagonista, una chica de secundaria, muy enamorada del chico bonito y rubio de la clase. Casi se puede sentir la tensión en el aula, y el planeamiento de las viñetas es extraordinario (¡felicitaciones a Paula!). Tiene un final un tanto triste, y quizá por eso me gusta tanto. ¡Muy buen trabajo!

También estoy incluyendo un par de storyboards que hice para un comercial de televisión que supuestamente empieza a filmarse el próximo mes. Me contrató uno de mis mejores amigos, Rafael Velásquez. Tuve menos de un día para completar 6 de estos, por eso se ven 'inacabados'.

11 comments:

  1. haces comerciales de tv, si? hay uno en youtube?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suena muy interesante, "The Green Carnation" ("El Clavel Verde" en español) fue una novela muy polémica que relataba la relación entre Oscar Wilde y un aristócrata inglés.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Maxwell: bueno, el comercial todavía no se ha filmado, pero básicamente usarían mis dibujitos como guía.

    Christian: lástima que la historia presentada aquí no esté basada en la novela de Wilde, creo que uno de los defectos de este número de romance es que falta variedad (todas las historias son de romance heterosexual).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Te admiro, hacer story boards es de las cosas más complicadas que me ha dejado mi carrera... ejem, bueno tal vez exagero, en otro orden de ideas, yo si gusto de las pelis de Amor, pero no me gustan nunca sus finales... quiero me mi final si sea feliz. by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saludos! voy a darme unas vueltas por tu blog, se ve muy bueno, estamos en contacto.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola Xavy, hacer el storyboard fue un reto y eso es lo que más me animó.

    Carlos: bienvenido al blog, espero que sigamos en contacto.

    ReplyDelete
  7. James Roberts, here, Thanks for the kind words on my art! Believe it or not a 2 pages limit can be kinda tough to tell a story. So I'm very happy the story was well received by you. Thanks, again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello James, you're welcome. I'm really looking forward to seeing more pages from you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nick aka the writer of Gut Check here. I just wanted to say thanks for the kind words. It really means a lot and I applaud you for writing such a lengthy review. I actually don't have a copy of the issue myself yet, so I'm excited to refer back to this once I've read the other stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the kind words about my story, Arcadio. I know that both Mike and I put in a lot of hard work for those three pages. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nick: you're welcome, I think you did a really good story. Hopefully I'll see you in upcoming issues of The Gathering.

    Jason: you should be proud of the result. I think it looks even better than our story for the sci-fi issue (or at least just as good).

    ReplyDelete